In 2010 Wellford Elementary School became Wellford Academy of Science and Technology-- a magnet school focused on science and technology. Around our school students are actively engaged in science and technology-rich and lessons. Please feel free to call the school (864-949-2385) to request a visit or more information regarding our magnet program.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a magnet school? A magnet school has a specialized focus. The term "magnet" refers to how students are drawn to the school from outside the school's normal attendance area.
Who will attend the magnet school? All students zoned for Wellford Elementary can attend Wellford Academy of Science and Technology. A limited number of students outside our attendance area who are interested in the program will also be accepted through the District Five Limited School Choice policy. ALL STUDENTS in the school will have equal opportunity to participate in specialized instruction and after school activities.
What is the application process? Parents of District Five students who wish to enroll their child(ren) in the Academy should fill out the D5 School Choice Application found here.What opportunities will my child have as a student at Wellford Academy of Science and Technology?
- build 3D models in our Design Computer Lab, which houses 8 Dremel Digilab 3D Printers
- participate in technology-rich lessons across the curriculum
- watch science come to life with hands-on, inquiry-based activities in Think Tank
- attend Science and Technology Family Fun Night
- communicate with authors, teachers, and children around the world using Skype, social media, email, and more
- use countless applications and web-based programs to enhance learning
- investigate real-world science, technology, engineering, and math challenges using the S.T.E.A.M model